Wednesday, April 1, 2009

ah the joys of government work

Turns out this job though low-paying compared to BIGLAW might be much more enjoyable. Government inefficiency + the South = spending 7 1/2 hours doing virtually nothing. We started at least 20 minutes late after every break. We spent an hour and a half doing "introductions"--100 plus people standing up and saying something witty about themselves. We had at least an hour of testimonials of people who had worked on previous projects--"Everyone's so nice! We're like one big happy family!" I also now know EVERYTHING about the structure of the Department of Human Services. Okay, that's a lie. I was playing with my phone during those 2 hours. Regardless of the inefficiency, everyone is ridiculously friendly. Might have something to do with being so thrilled at the idea of a paycheck since most of the people hired have been out of work for months. Also, could be the Southern factor.

We have another day of training in the hotel ballroom tomorrow, and then Friday we're splitting up into 3 groups and meeting downtown. Looks like we'll be training for quite a while, and we'll all be stationed downtown, which I'm happy about. Besides the parking problem, which is a non-issue since I'm forcing Jeff to drive me to work every morning, downtown is awesome. Great places to eat within walking distance, great bars for happy hours, and not far from my house. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Oh, one more thing. Did I mention that I got off work at 4:30pm? Unbelievable. Another benefit of working for the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment